J.P. Trosclair wrote, at 11/19/2008 08:14 PM:

> On Nov 19, 2008, at 6:06 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
>> To stop receiving mail from the network, comment out the network
>> facing smtpd entry in master.cf, do "postfix reload", and look
>> for warnings in the maillog file.
>>
>> You can get a lot fancier and set up an access rule that replies
>> with "421 Service unavailable for migration".
>>
>>     Wietse
>

> Thanks for the info, I'll look into taking this approach.

You only mention your MX needs. If the server also offers submission
service, you will need to plan carefully. In order to be transparent,
your users shouldn't need to change client configuration. If you can
afford to deny access to your human users during the outage, you may
still need to accommodate web applications or mailing lists. Some of
these do not fail gracefully when there is a connection error, so make
sure the admins are aware of the downtime so they can plan accordingly.