On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:49 AM, mouss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa a écrit :
>
>>> However, Postfix supports access maps that can reject mail for
>>> over-quota users, if you are willing to periodically add up all
>>> the mail each user has.
>>
>> I have been using filesystem quotas for this purpose, and it works
>> just fine.  Off course, I have a "dedicated" filesystem for mail
>> storage.
>>

> The problem is that this is detected at delivery time, which will cause
> backscatter if it happens too often and your filter misses a lot of
> spam. if this doesn't happen often, then yes, it's the easy way.
> otherwise, an access check as suggested by Wietse may be necessary.

True, that's why I try to implement many "quota warning" systems, so
the user knows that he/she have to clean their mailbox, also, there is
a side-effect to the fs quota: it is pretty much likely that the imap
server (dovecot) fail to access the user mailbox once the hard limit
is over (unless you fix it, but I didn't), and they just call support,
and then one tells them to clean up the mailbox asap, and just
"reenable" the access (by deleting a couple of dovecot's files, and
extending their quota for a while).

Well, I also try to have a good spam filter (ASSP).

>> true.  but quotas are necessary: the more disk space the users have,
>> the more garbage they store.
>>

> but this doesn't require checking quota in real time or at delivery
> time. populating an access list (periodically or opportunistically)
> should be enough.

maybe, but can also prove to be slow, and even more when you have
thousands of users.  I think that... maybe... using soft-quotas (as a
counter) and having unlimited hard-quota and grace periods could have
a similar effect, and can be faster (I don't know if this actually
works, I hasn't tried)

>> true, but when you have >10k users, the cost of each "not so
>> expensive" hard drive starts to add, and not only that, in a public
>> organization you can have wait-times of around 6 months just to get a
>> hard drive.  Oh, and don't forget: you have plug these hard drives
>> somewhere: every server has they "hard drives limit", and you could
>> take a PC and lots of SATA controllers, and build a nice low-cost
>> NAS-like thing, but a few people qualify this as "unreliable", they
>> need to spend lots of money on IBM or HP storage systems, and because
>> of the cost, they just don't buy them, and thus: we have a limited
>> amount of disk space :( .
>>

> Agreed.

>> mmmm........ I don't think my boss let me do that, jejejeje :D
>>

> you must make it look like an accident :)

mmmm....... jejejejeje :D