Is it possible, if I specify a mailbox_command in my main.cf, to pipe any output that produces on stdout to somewhere else? Like, say, to another command? What I'm trying to do is have procmail write its log output to stdout, then pipe that into logger so I have it end up in syslog in a format that I can easily filter down to find the output for a specific message being processed.

Right now we use procmail as the delivery agent for a mid-to-large environment, and the logging is not centralised, so this is an exercise in centralising the logging for all the nodes in our mail cluster, and have it logged in a way that gives me a moderately unique (unique for long enough, that is) identifier that I can use to trace the output for a specific message.

Unless, of course, anyone here knows a better way to do what I'm trying to achieve. I can't be the only one who's ever looked at a procmail log file, and seen that the fact that it logs with no message identifier and no date/timestamp for each log file means the log can be next to useless during busy periods. Our servers, for example, deliver maybe 15,000 pieces of mail a day, and everything is jumbled together with no real clue about which lines apply to which messages.

If anyone's got any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Adrian