Am Wednesday 10 December 2008 15:52:29 schrieb Fat Bear Mail Services:
> My virtual_alias_maps file (hash:/etc/postfix/virtual) is many thousands
> of lines.  Does sorting the virtual file before running postmap improve
> subsequent lookup performance?  Just curious.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: most probably not, because the database backend that is used for
the map uses a sort order for the key anyway to have fast lookups. Generally,
the database systems I know of (except flat-file databases) use some form of
prefix-tree or a hash map to sort the keys for fast searching, and as such
the order in the input file does not matter at all, as the keys are reordered
anyway when creating the map.

--
Heiko Wundram
hackerkey://v4sw7CHJLSUY$hw5ln5pr7FOP$ck2ma9u7FL$w3DVWXm0l7GL$i65e6t3EMRSXb7ADORen5a26s5MSr2p-6.62/-6.56g5AORZ