On Dec 19, 2008, at 10:59 AM, "Asif Iqbal" <vad...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net> wrote:
Asif Iqbal wrote:

You are right I cannot talk to any domain's MX. My ISP is cox and I cannot even talk to their two MXs on port 25. I guess I could do a nmap to find what port they are using for MX. They might require some authentication.
I have no idea what my login is to my cox account.

Neither smtp.east.cox.net nor smtp.west.cox.net work for you? Perhaps
the mx.*.cox.net servers are for incoming *only*.  But I am just
speculating -- best to verify this with your ISP.

I will try again when I get to work.

Also see:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost

Relay Host would probably be my only option. However using postfix relay with
gmail seems to be a *lot* of work

It is not a lot of work at all; what gave you the assumption that it is?

This url suggests so.
http://prantran.blogspot.com/2007/01/getting-postfix-to-work-on-ubuntu-with.html

I could skip the signing part and just a .pem file. But seems like I
will also need a Thawte certificate.

Well it is doable but not a snap like install nullmailer and stunnel
and just create a fake circitificate
and talk to gmail on port 465. :-)

No need to jump through such hoops. You do not need certs or .pem files to relay through gmail. Search the archives of this mailing list for examples, and discard that tutorial!

--
Sahil Tandon