On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 02:05:12AM -0300, Reinaldo de Carvalho wrote:

> I suggest update transport documentation changing '*' to last lookup order.
>
> Beacause users can to deduct erroneously that '*' is a wildcard, and
> isn't. '*' is choosed caracter to represent a default
> transport/nexthop,

It is a wildcard. It is the only wildcard documented for the transport(5)
table. Users can jump to all kinds of conclusions, ... or they can read
the documentation. While a different character would perhaps reduce the
conclusion-jumping, it would be harder to remember.

I am not convinced that any amount of warnings in the reference
documentation will reduce conclusion jumping, since most users seem
to learn from examples and HOWTO documents, and rarely read reference
documentation.

--
        Viktor.