Jesper Dybdal:
> I have just installed a mailing list manager (Mailman) for use with my
> Postfix installation (which has just been upgraded to 2.5.5).  I have
> patched Mailman to use the XVERP option on MAIL FROM.
>
> This works, but I was surprised to see that when the recipient address
> provided by Mailman is rewritten by Postfix' virtual_regexp, then the
> recipient address that Postfix encodes in the envelope return path is
> the rewritten address, rather than the original subscriber address that
> Mailman knows.

With VERP, Postfix embeds the envelope recipient address into the
envelope sender address. If the sender is sen...@example.com, then
the result of embedding is sender+rcptlocal=rcptdom...@example.com
(depending on the delimiter settings; default is +=).

If you change the envelope recipient address, then Postfix embeds
the changed recipient. If you change the envelope sender, then
Postfix embeds the recipient into the changed sender address.

I do not understand why you would send mail to a recipient address
other than the recipient subscribed to the Mailman list.

> Since mailing list software using XVERP needs to recognize the address
> from the envelope return path as being equal to the subscribed address,
> would it not be better to always use the raw address from RCPT TO,
> rather than the rewritten one, when creating the VERP'ed return path?

If I understand this correctly,

1) When you rewrite the envelope RECIPIENT address, then you expect
Postfix VERP to use the original recipient address instead of the
rewritten one.

2) What if you rewrite the envelope SENDER address? Should Postfix
VERP use the original envelope sender address or the rewritten one?

If 1) and 2) work in opposite ways then my little mind will be
really confused.

> I have not tested this with the 2.6 experimental release, but the
> release notes say nothing about VERP, so I assume the behaviour is the
> same in 2.6.

Yes, this project takes pride in accurate documentatiom :-)

        Wietse