N. Yaakov Ziskind:
> Wietse Venema wrote (on Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:03:42PM -0500):
> > I'd say, run "postfix set-permissions" and if that does not
> > do the job, kill off or update SELINUX, APPARMOR, etc.
> >
> >     Wietse
>
> # postfix/postfix-script: fatal: usage: postfix start (or stop, reload,
> abort, flush, or check)
>
> a little digging convinced me that you meant:
>
> # /etc/postfix/post-install set-permissions

The command "postfix set-permissions" is available since Postfix
2.1 which was released in April 2004.

Before Postfix version 2.3, the trace service was used only to
report results for "sendmail -v" and "sendmail -bv". Postfix version
2.3 and later also use the trace service for RFC 3462 "success"
delivery status notifications.

> but that gave a string of (I think) meaningless errors - fix one, another
> pops up, etc. (Now I'm up to "chown: cannot access
> `/usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.bz2': No such file or directory")

Your Postfix installation is badly inconsistent. All warranties
are void at this point.

> SELINUX is not installed, and APPARMOR is in complain mode.

It does not matter. You need to first fix the inconsistencies.