On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 05:01:25AM -0800, Neil wrote:

> Specifically: Mail.app only does SSL, not TLS.

This is not true. Mail.app supports STARTTLS, it does not support use
of client certificates, but STARTTLS with our without SASL is supported
in working both in Tiger and Leopard.

> It would test port 567
> for connectivity, but not SSL-ability, for some reason,

What is 567? Implement "STARTTLS" on 587 (submission), and only if needed
to support Outlook/OE, also implement SSL on 465 (smtps).

> It'd be nice if they added TLS support to Mail.app though.  And were a
> little more thorough in their connection tests.

Mail.app supports STARTTLS, as "SSL" is a non-standard legacy Outlook
protocol, this may only be supported on the legacy port (465). Don't
implement server-side wrapper mode on other ports.

--
        Viktor.