Thanks all. I now understand.

>> My postfix sends a message back to the sender that it was to a
>> non-existent address. I was thinking about not sending them anything
>> back. No need to tell them they guessed wrong.
>>

> in a good confifguration postfix doesn't _send_. it _rejects_ the
> transaction. this is like a 404 in http. the bounce is created by the
> client MTA, not by your postfix.

An example where my server rejected a bad address:

"The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1
<a...@dev.jsoft.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
virtual alias table (state 14)."

I do not send bounces. I reject them like the above.

sooo
It's a bad idea to mess with the rejection message. Thanks again.

Gary