Dear List,

I am trying to configure postfix 2.2.10 in a way that two of my group
companies can get their mailing services from one physical server machine.
The two companies are having their separate domains registered and the name
space for them will be completely separate i.e. a...@company1.com will have a
separate mailbox from that of a...@company2.com.

The details of the users are all kept in LDAP. I have created the LDAP tree
where the users of company1.com are under
ou=company1.com,dc=my,dc=organization and those for company2.com are under
ou=company2.com,dc=my,dc=organization.

I have added company1.com and company2.com in mydestination and have defined
the LDAP search_base as ou=%d,dc=my,dc=organization.

My SMTP transaction is going fine in a sense, the mails are getting
delivered to the individual mailboxes. May I request you to kindly point out
whether there is any issue in this approach? I have read that this sort of
scenario is best tackled by using virtual hosting feature of postfix using
things like virtual_mailbox_domains etc. I tried to take that route but
could not achieve the result after lots of efforts. Mails for company1.com
were getting delivered but those for company2.com were bouncing with "user
unknown" result. Thus have taken to this route. Will there be any problem
with this approach if I "go live" with it? Kindly guide me.

With regards,

Goutam