On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:41:04AM -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:

> His system uses only virtual users, and according to the man page,
> home_mailbox is only for local users, so, considering the following
> complete postconf -n output, I think I can safely remove this setting?
>
> myhost ~ # postconf -n
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
> home_mailbox = .maildir/
> mydomain = example.com
> myhostname = smtp.example.com
> relay_domains =
> virtual_alias_maps =
>       mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf,
>       hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
> virtual_mailbox_domains =
>       mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
> virtual_mailbox_maps =
>       mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

Address classes:

LOCAL:
    # Default value, not mentioned in main.cf:

    So <u...@smtp.example.com> and <u...@localhost> are local addresses,
    likely subject to local delivery via alias_maps and home_mailbox.

    Also $myorigin has its default value of $myhostname, so mail to just
    <user> is also delivered via local(8).

VIRTUAL MAILBOX:
    Domains that are keys in the mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf table.
    Are any of the above local domains listed?

    This mail is handled via virtual(8) and does not use alias_maps or
    home_mailbox.

VIRTUAL ALIAS:
    Are any domains listed as keys in virtual_alias_maps table? You have
    explicitly configured virtual_alias_domains, so this defaults to
    $virtual_alias_maps.

    Also are any/all users in either of the above classes subject to
    virtual alias rewriting.

    It sure looks like mailman is used so at least some addresses are
    delivered to the local(8) transport, it is not clear whether these
    are always rewritten to non-local addresses via aliases, or not.

OTHER:
    The transport table could also change the delivery logic for one
    or more domains.

Your question cannot be answered based just on the data you have
provided.

The home_mailbox parameter is used when mail would otherwise be delivered
to $mail_spool_directory for a system user via the local(8) delivery agent.
Whether this is in fact used depends on the details of the various tables.

--
        Viktor.