On Friday 23 January 2009 11:32:04 ram wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 11:04 +0100, Richard Foley wrote:
> > Hi postfix profis,
> >
> > I'm running postfix 2.1.5-9
>
> If it isnt broken , dont fix it :-)

Sage advice :-)

> If you are seeing a lot of reject  lines ( because of spamhaus ? ). That
> is natural. We get upto 400k connections per hour on some of our postfix
> servers and postfix handles them all well. 80% get rejected.

Yep, I think postfix is doing a fine job, and I've RTFM'd quite a bit as well
and read this list (not back2back...), and I'm happy to see the rejects.  I
was just wondering if I was doing anything obviously inefficient, given that
I'm not an expert postfix admin.  I realise it's a bit of a 'how long is a
piece of string' question, because there's almost always some room for
improvement...

> What are you trying to optimize ? Are you looking to upgrade your
> postfix (2.1x is old )

Upgrade is imminent.

> 1) Do you reject unknown users using
> check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_checks
> a hash map or a cdb map file may be better

This file is very minimal:

        /^\@/           550 invalid address
        /[...@].*\@/    550 weird addresses

> 2) smtpd_sender_restrictions seems to duplicate checks in
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions , so you may drop them

Ah, well spotted.

> 3)The smtpd_recipient_restrictions  seems to have an unnecessary
> reject_unknown_recipient_domain, If you are rejecting unknown users

Ok.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
Richard Foley