postmas...@klam.ca wrote:
I don't currently own a blackberry, but am thinking about getting one
(the Obama effect). A friend who works in the Cellphone business has
warned me that if I just setup the BB to go get my email from my postfix
server this will treated as internet data, whereas if I can  "interface"
postfix - BB then the data transfer is treated as email, different and
lower tariff.

Does anybody know if and how such synchronization might be achieved.

there are basically two options "synchronizing" your BB device:

* use blackberry internet service (BIS)
typically a telephony provider specifiy "microsite" on blackberry.com, allows you to configure IMAP, POP3 and SMTP (=> postfix) servers. The "easy" (and cheapest) way.

* use blackberry enterprise service (BES)
you have to install a dedicated server component, interfacing with either exchange or lotus notes, entirely windows based. The "difficult" (and expensive) way.

But to be honest: just don't do it. In terms of supporting "open" standards, even an iPhone or windows mobile based devices are ways better, IMHO.

From a postfix side there is nothing special about it, so this is quite out of scope for this ML.

--
Udo Rader, CTO
http://www.bestsolution.at