________________________________

From: owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org [mailto:owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org]
On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Tuesday, 27 January 2009 9:34 AM
To: mouss+nob...@netoyen.net
Cc: postfix-users@postfix.org
Subject: Re: I thought I had a send-only Postfix server, but I see someone
connected to it!

<bj...@ruberg.no

                > <mailto:bj...@ruberg.no>> wrote:
                >
                > [snip]
                >
                >     An even easier alternative is to let Postfix listen to
localhost

                > OK, I did this too. (In addition to setting inet_interfaces =
127.0.0.1

                > in main.cf <http://main.cf>.)

                This may cause problems because the IP will also be used for
                smtp_bind_address, which means smtp will use it as the source
IP when
                talking to other mail servers.

                better not play with inet_interfaces and edit master.cf instead.

        Thanks for the tip. As far as I know, however, my Postfix only needs to
talk to my gmail-provided smtp server. I just tested, and I can indeed still
send email (which is relayed via gmail) even with the above change in place.

        I don't want anyone connecting to my Postfix server and I don't want it
to send any email from any other machine and I only want it to relay email via
gmail smtp. Given all that, is there any reason to undo the inet_interfaces
change I made?

Personally, I wonder why you're using Postfix at all if you're just sending and
receiving mail via Gmail. Postfix is a full-blown MTA, so it seems like a lot
of overkill for mail you could collect via IMAP/POP using the mail client of
your preference.