Dave a écrit :

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net
> <mailto:sa...@tandon.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Dave wrote:
>
>     > Hopefully I have improved my question-asking now. :)
>
>     You are confusing the role of the SMTP server and the IMAP
>     client/server.
>     Several of your "problems" have little to do with Postfix.
>

> IMAP is not involved unless the gmail webclient is using IMAP and I
> don't know it. As far as I know, I have only Postfix and the gmail
> webclient.
> Can you tell me where my confusion is? Thank you.

it's because you talked about the "sent" folder. This folder is used by
an imap client (or a webmail client) when _you_ send mail, but postfix
is not involved here.

>     > Here's the first example of email addressing that I want to
>     fix/modify.
>     >
>     > subject: DenyHosts Report
>     > from: nobody-at-localhost
>     > to: root-at-localhost
>     >
>     > I want this to be from me-at-example.com
>     <http://me-at-example.com> (or root-at-example.com
>     <http://root-at-example.com>) to
>     > me-at-example.com <http://me-at-example.com>.
>     > The message does not appear in my sent mail folder at example.com
>     <http://example.com> (but I
>     > want it to).
>
>     Because you are not 'nobody', the message will not appear in your sent
>     folder.  In any case, the functionality of saving a copy of sent
>     messages in
>     some folder is not a Postfix issue.
>

> OK, so I have to make sure all messages are from me-at-example.com
> <http://me-at-example.com> in order for them to appear in the sent-mail
> folder of that account.

No, they will not. as said above, the Sent folder is "populated" by
imap/web mail clients when _you_ send mail (_you_ != denyhosts, cron,
... etc).