I have:

virtual_alias_maps =
    hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/virtual,
    pcre:/usr/local/etc/postfix/virtual.pcre,
    mysql:/usr/local/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf

testing:
 $ postmap -q li...@southgaylord.com  hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
 $ postmap -q li...@southgaylord.com  pcre:/etc/postfix/virtual.pcre
$ postmap -q li...@southgaylord.com mysql:/usr/local/etc/postfix/ mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
li...@southgaylord.com

but:

2178F118BA6B: to=<li...@southgaylord.com>, orig_to=<krem...@kreme.com>, relay=none, delay=0.77, delays=0.6/0.1/0/0.07, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (User unknown)

This was working before I upgrade to postix 2.5.6, so something I did before reloading postfix must have gotten it confused.

(messages to krem...@kreme.com get a copy forwarded to li...@southgaylord.com from with my procmailrc. Both domains are local, so perhaps something earlier in the chain than virtual_alias_maps is returning the no user error?)

--
A man, in a word, who should never have been taught to write and
        whom if unhappily gifted with that ability, should have been