On 10-Mar-2009, at 13:37, Rupert Reid wrote:

Hello All,

I am running postfix (apple version) with MAC OSX10.4.11 client. I found the following entries in the "Console/501/console.log". I am concerned but do not know what it means. The var/log/mail.log does not show any errors and seem to be sending/receiving mail without problem. Below is the output of postconf -n. I would be grateful if anyone could:

a. Tell me what the console.log means

the permissions on /var/mail/ are wrong

b. Should I be concerened and what should I do about it

sudo chmod 1777 /var/mail/

it should look like this:

$ ls -lsd /var/mail/
2 drwxrwxrwt  2 root  mail  1536 Mar 10 14:58 /var/mail/

(note the 't')

Also, you might want to man chmod and man 2 chmod and look for "sticky"

    If mode ISVTX (the `sticky bit') is set on a directory, an
    unprivileged user may not delete or rename files of other
    users in that directory. The sticky bit may be set by any
    user on a directory which the user owns or has appropriate
    permissions.  For more details of the properties of the
    sticky bit, see sticky(8).

--
All our loves are first loves