On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 01:37:31PM -0400, Cory Coager wrote:

> If I'm reading the documentation correctly, when using smtp_tls_policy_maps
> for specific domains, if no servers are available

That is no servers offer TLS, or do offer TLS, but with unsatisfactory
certificates.

> the email will be deferred?

Yes.

> Is there a way to change this to a permanent failure?

No, doing this would be a design error.

  - When an attackers temporarily disable TLS between you and a remote
    domain, they should not be able to cause messages to bounce.

  - When attackers provide false DNS responses for the MX hosts of the
    target domain, they should not be able to cause messages to bounce.

  - When an administrator of the remote server screws up disables TLS,
    messages should not bounce.

A secure channel must temp-fail when security cannot be established,
otherwise the channel is subject to tampering by untrusted parties.
Negative responses must be secured just like positive ones.

For example, both DNSCurve and DNSSEC provide cryptographic protection
for NXDOMAIN responses. No DNSCurve or DNSSEC client will turn failure
to authenticate a response into NXDOMAIN, rather both will return a
tempfail status.

Incorrect behaviour will not likely be supported any time soon,
no matter popular, unless it is the only work-around for a critical
inter-operability issue.

If you have enforced TLS destinations that consistently tempfail, and
you cannot disable TLS, but want to alert senders faster, temporarily
install a transport override for the domain:

        example.com     error:5.7.4 Mandatory TLS service unavailable

Whether it is wise to continue to enforce TLS for a destination where
you expect to TLS service to never be restored is something you have
to consider.

--
        Viktor.