Eray Aslan via Postfix-users:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 09:41:07AM -0400, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users
> wrote:
> > Eray Aslan via Postfix-users:
> > > Having said that, Berkeley DB is mature software and it works and is
> > > widely available in various *nixes. Still, would it be prudent or worth
> > > the effort to change the default db type to something else in
> > > postfix-3.9?
> >
> > What problem are you trying to solve?
>
> I don't use BerkeleyDB so no personal problem. However, the recent
> mailing list topic about postscreen database made me wonder if the
> general public might be better served with a non-BerkeleyDB default as
> well.

postscreen has unique requirements, and I don't think they should
drive the choice of a Postfix default database (low read/write
latency, and either exclusive access or a lock-free architecture
such as LMDB which is based on multi-version concurrency control).

But, if LMDB is available as a package for all supported systems,
then a switch would be feasible, though painful because it is a
forced transition. We might just as well phase out the 'default
database type' and require that all commands and configurations
specifu an explcit database type.