On 2023-11-11 at 12:26:18 UTC-0500 (Sat, 11 Nov 2023 17:26:18 +0000)
Matthias Nagel via Postfix-users <matthias.h.na...@posteo.de>
is rumored to have said:

Hello all,

I am running Postfix 3.8.1. Postfix serves port 25 for incoming mail from other MTAs and port 587 for authenticated MUAs.

Postfix is supposed to check SPF for mails from other MTAs on port 25, but not for mails from authenticated MUAs on port 587.

To this end, there is a SPF check inside „recipient_restrictions“, but authenticated clients are already permitted by an early „permit_sasl_authenticated“ inside „relay_restrictions“. According to my understanding, Postfix should stop evaluation of the access rules as soon as a final decision has been made. I thought, Postfix evaluates
 1. client restrictions
 2. helo restrictions
 3. sender restrictions
 4. recipient restrictions
 5. relay restrictions
 6. data restrictions
 7. end-of-data restrictions
in that order until either a final PERMIT, DENY or DEFER is found.

Nope. Review the restriction list docs. PERMIT only short-circuits the current restriction list. Later restriction in the same list are skipped, but later lists are still run. DENY or DEFER acts immediately.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire