On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 07:52:39PM +0100, Togan Muftuoglu via Postfix-users
wrote:

> so the following is all I need which I wrote in the first mail
> (without the inet part) I don't need to set anything in master.cf
>
> mailbox_transport = lmtp:inet:[172.16.0.216]:24
> virtual_transport = lmtp:inet:[172.16.0.216]:24

The lmtp(8) manpage says in part:

    LMTP DESTINATION SYNTAX
       The Postfix SMTP+LMTP client supports multiple destinations separated
       by comma or whitespace (Postfix 3.5 and later).  LMTP destinations have
       the following form:

       unix:pathname
              Connect to the local UNIX-domain server that is bound to the
              specified pathname. If the process runs chrooted, an absolute
              pathname is interpreted relative to the Postfix queue directory.

       inet:hostname

       inet:hostname:port

       inet:[address]

       inet:[address]:port
              Connect to the specified TCP port on the specified local or
              remote host. If no port is specified, connect to the port
              defined as lmtp in services(4).  If no such service is found,
              the lmtp_tcp_port configuration parameter (default value of 24)
              will be used.  An IPv6 address must be formatted as
              [ipv6:address].

So the "hostname" form does not use "[]", which are only for address
literals.  As for master.cf (master(5)), whether you need to add
anything or not, depends on what's already there.  An entry for the
"lmtp" delivery agent is needed if you intend to use LMTP.

--
    Viktor.