On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 01:20:00PM -0500, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:

> > Obsoleted by automatic negotiation in the SSL code:
> >
> >     - smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file = auto
> >     - smtpd_tls_eecdh_grade = auto
> >
> > [ We could delete the underlying support code for the explicit choices,
> >   and always use 'auto' with a warning if the configuration specifies
> >   a different choice.  Mind you, automatic DH group negotiation is
> >   prone to choosing largish > 2048-bit groups, when the server will sign
> >   with a large RSA private key, but this feels somewhat justifiable. ]
>
> Isn't that TLS version dependent, or have we already lost support for
> the old way?

For EECDH, "auto" has worked for a long time, and is basically an
interoperability requirement!

Automatic (FF)DH group selection in the SSL stack requires OpenSSL 3.0,
but recent Postfix versions emulate "auto" by using a compiled in DH
group, which is quite "good enough" in practice.  So "auto" already
works.

--
    Viktor.