On 21/02/24 12:40, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:
Peter via Postfix-users:
A quick status update.

First, several features have been logging warnings that they would
be removed for 10 years or more, so we could delete them in good
conscience (perhaps keeping the warning with the suggested alternative).
This change has not yet been made.

Note that this IS a breaking change: features are removed. But
there have been warnings for 10+ years that this was coming.

Right, this is the main reason why I think that releasing as 4.0 would be appropriate. I do realize that these features have been deprecated for a long time but still they are, as you say, breaking changes and so releasing as 4.0 will help a lot to distinguish that.

Next, I have added new warnings for the following features, so that
they can be removed some 5 years down the road.
The present state is in postfix-3.9-20240218. I have slienced the
noisy warnings for deprecated and unused configuration parameters
so that they are not logged while upgrading or installing Postfix.
The warnings are still logged, once, with postfix start, start-fg,
check, reload, or status.

Just a quick thought here.  I think it would make sense to release this
as Postfix 4.0 since removing and deprecating a large number of features
should probably be considered quite a major change.

I'm not sure that I follow. This is not a breaking change. it just logs
a reminder that there will be a breaking change a few years from now.

I didn't mean to imply that these are breaking changes. Simply taking the whole of these changes into account along with the breaking changes above seems to lend support to releasing as 4.0.

Peter