Dear Postfix users,

A user had their password guessed/leaked, and the account was used to send spam/phishing messages – but only once an hour or so, so it wasn’t detected as abnormal traffic. One thing detectable thing would have been, that the sent unsolicited messages used a different name than the user in the From: field.

Jennifer Wood <not-w...@molgen.mpg.de>

To detect phishing messages on the receiving end, we already maintain a list in regexp-header for “important” people, so names used in From: have to match certain email addresses.

The names are already present in the user name or comment field in `/etc/passwd` but also some LDAP database.

Has somebody already experience with implementing such a heuristic, and is it useful¹? If it is useful, how could I do it? Probably an exact match would cause too much trouble, as some users want to put their academic title to the field too.

Kind regards,

Paul

¹ After a while the criminals are going to adapt, and just use the correct name for the account.