On 07.03.24 21:52, Stephen Satchell via Postfix-users wrote:
Assuming that one's configuration has open relay, what does a log entry for relayed mail look like?

It looks like any other mail, just it was received without authentication, from unstrusted clients and sent to remote (not in relay_domains or permit_mx_backup_networks) recipients that were entered by the sender (not local recipients rewritten to remote in aliases or virtual_alias_maps).

I don't think I've any open relay, but I want to look and make sure.

I've searched for half an hour, and no answer came up. But, I did find some hints. Specifically, I use this command to list all outgoing mail:

grep relay= mail.log | grep -v relay=local

the "relay" means mail destination.

I can then use the message ID to get all the log information for each questioned transaction.

Am I on the right road?  Please disabuse me of any incorrect notions.

yes, that could help, but it's pretty much work.

I find it better to explicitly test server for relaying.

We are but packets in the Internet of life (userfriendly.org)