On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 07:23:00PM +0200, Kim Sindalsen via Postfix-users wrote:

> > Regardless, as things stand, the default Fedora 39 nsswitch.conf
> > makes Postfix restrictions much too fragile, and needs to be
> > avoided.
>
> files dns is standard on my installation (Gentoo Linux/OpenRC)

Congratulations, your OS distribution did not default to a poor choice
(at least for Postfix) of nsswitch.conf.

> https://man.archlinux.org/man/nss-resolve.8.en seems to say that the
> order should be: mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] files myhostname

Yes, and that advice is bad for applications that need to distinguish
between hard and soft lookup errors.

> when using/utilizing systemd-resolved - dunno if that changes anything
> really though.

As explained in my posts upthread, following that advice results in
Postfix intermittently rejecting (5XX) legitimate client IPs, that
should have been deferred (4XX) as a result of a transient lookup
glitch.

--
    Viktor.