I have a mailing server setup based on Debian Stable that uses postfix for IMAP
and SMTP and dovecot for internel mail handling, like filtering, sorting into
users inboxes etc. I now wanted to set dovecot to not write to syslog, but to
dedicated files in /var/log/dovecot. While everything indicates that this
happens successfully, postfix will soon start logging complaints:

   May 13 20:55:37 mail postfix/local[2824184]: 95BCF1000A9:
to=<u...@domain.de>, relay=local, delay=3.2, delays=1.9/0.29/0/1.1, dsn=4.3.0,
status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: lda(user): Error:
net_connect_unix(/run/dovecot/stats-writer) failed: Permission denied Can't open log
file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied )

If it would only log the complaints I wouldn't worry, but as long as I don't
revert the changes in dovecot's config, mail delivery is at least vastly
delayed, most likely stuck alltogether. Now since dovecot does log to the files
set up, my guess is that this is an issue with postfix. So the question is, why
does postfix even try to access the log files dovecot uses? I haven't set
postfix to log to them, in fact I don't see any settings as to where postfix
will log to (I'm not the one that set up the server, I'm just maintaining it).
Does anyone here know enough about how postfix and dovecot work together to
figure out what the actual issue is and how to stop it from happening?

Best

Richard