On 29/05/2024 01:11, Bill Cole via Postfix-users wrote:
On 2024-05-28 at 18:50:11 UTC-0400 (Wed, 29 May 2024 00:50:11 +0200)
John Fawcett via Postfix-users <j...@voipsupport.it>
is rumored to have said:

[...]
Hi John

I think you are missing the following in master.cf for the submission service

-o smtpd_delay_reject=no

Without that the smtpd_client_restrictions will not be evaluated when the client connects and so you will allow the connected client to try authentication.

That is not what is happening here. The order of restrictions within the same restriction list matters, and Postfix is careful about logic. If you put permit_sasl_authenticated ahead of reject_rbl_client, the permit must be able to   take effect without evaluating the reject condition. That demands allowing as many AUTH commands as your other config will allow to fail.

Hi Bill

You're right that the order matters and the reject_rbl_client should be the first restriction in smtpd_client_restrictions for the submission service. Actually it is probably the only one that is really needed.

I may be wrong but I don't believe that specifying permit_sasl_authenticated influences behaviour in allowing AUTH attempts. I believe it will just evaluate to permitting the access if at the time of the evaluation the user is authenticated.

John