Mailman29 via Postfix-users:
> myhostname is set to "mail2" in main.cf, but the mx record points
> to mail.somedomain.com, (they share the same IP though) would it
> be doing an ip lookup first? I guess I need to "trick" it into
> thinking it's not the same if it's IP based.

Postfix requires transport_maps to forward mail from a front-end
MTA to a backend MTA. Other approaches are not supported.

Based on your earlier description I expect something like:

public IP address, port 25: haproxy ->

    hidden port or address: frontend MTA with transport_maps ->

        hidden port or address: backend MTA

If all this runs on a single host, and you use loopback (127.0.0.1)
for internal communication, then Postfix won't care whether servers
use the same MTA name.

If you use a non-routable network such as 10.* or 192.168.* for
internal communication, then you will need distinct MTA names.

However, for sanity sake, I'd always recommend that different MTA
instances identify themselves with different names. Otherwise youir
logging will be incomprehensible.

        Wietse