See inline comments.

Paul Schmehl
paul.schm...@gmail.com

> On Jun 13, 2024, at 3:12 PM, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users
> <postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote:
>
> Paul Schmehl via Postfix-users:
>> I'm 77. I've been retired for 10 years. Now I'm struggling trying
>> to get postfix working with Dovecot and Spamasassin on a CentOS 7
>> server. I manage a small hobby domain for some friends (for free),
>> and the changes in systems are so dramatic that I feel I'm losing
>> touch.
>
> Welcome back. I'm also updating some different infrastructure from
> a similar vintage, and translating configurations from the past to
> the present can be challenging.

Thank you for the kind words.

>> Here's the spamassassin bits in master.cf:
>>
>> smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>>    -o content_filter=spamassassin
>>
>> spamassassin unix -      n       n       -       -      pipe
>>       user=spamd argv=/usr/local/bin/spamc -f -e
>>       /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -f ${sender} ${recipient}
>
> So that one seems to be failing.

It was failing because spamc was located in /usr/bin, not /usr/local/bin.
That’s been fixed. Also, the spamd user did not exist. That also has been
fixed.

So, yes, it was a bad configuration. I copied the text from the article that i
linked to and forget to verify the location of the binaries.

Skipping.

>> I'm not sure if all these parameters are still in use or if I even need them.
>
>> I'm seeing a lot of these, but I assume this is just a nefarious actor:
>> Jun 13 13:16:18 ded602 postfix/smtpd[2438]: warning: non-SMTP command from
>> unknown[80.244.11.148]:
>> \026\003\001\000\342\001\000\000\336\003\003iRf+\246d\261&]\303\034&jn/;\315\213\372\t4\005L\253\250
>
> That's a TLS handshake. If this is on port 25 or 587 that is the
> client's mistake. With modern master.cf files, Postfix will log
> the service name for user mail user agents as postfix/submission/smtpd,
> postfix/smtps/smtpd, or postfix/submissions/smtpd.
>
>> Please be gentle. I'm far from a pro, and I've been out of the game for a
>> decade.
>
> No problem. Could you be so kind not to include a 80 kilobyte
> HTML attachment?

I didn’t even realize that Apple mail was sending as html. I’ll have to see if
I can change that.