> Line endings depends on context. UNIX files and commands use <LF>,
>
> whereas SMTP and LMTP use <CR><LF>. Instead of picking a specific
>
> line ending, Postfix uses none. Instead it stores a length and text.
>
> When delivering mail, Postfix ADDS the line endings that are appropriate.
>
> - The delivery agents for UNIX files and commands add <LF> line endings.
>
> The pipe daemon can also be configured to prepend "." and append
> <CR><LF>.
>

> - The Postfix SMTP and LMTP clients add the SMTP encapsulation:
> they append <CR><LF> at the end of a line, and prepend "." to to
>
> lines that start with ".". This behavior is required by the
> protocol and is not configurable.
>
> For completeness, when receiving mail, Postfix strips line endings.
>
> - The Postfix SMTP server REMOVES the SMTP encapsulation: the
> <CR><LF> line endings and "." at the start of a line.
>

> (for compatiility with poorly written apps, it may also permit
> bare <LF<> depending on "smtpd_forbid_bare_newline" configuration).
>

> - The Postfix sendmail command REMOVES the UNIX-style <LF> line
>
> ending.
>
> (for compatibility with poorly written apps, it may also remove
> <CRL><LF> depending on "sendmail_fix_line_endings" cxonfiguration)
>

> Additionally, the latest Postfix 3.5..2.9 versions will replace
> <LF> or <CR> in the middle of a line with the SPACE character.
>
> This neutraslizes any attempts to inject false line endings.
>
> Wietse

Thank you very much for your detailed response.

So as far as I understand Postfix can receive "<CR><LF>.<CR><LF>" or
"<LF>.<LF>" or even other "End of DATA's",
but will always strip them and add its own "<CR><LF>.<CR><LF>" "End of DATA"
for outgoing SMTP.
(Additionally it also strips and adds parts of the DATA itself.)

Is there a ways to verify this on the postfix server? Or would it be required
to setup another SMTP server and somehow watch the incoming mails on that one?

Alto