So there's a confusion between the hostname of the mailer and the
doamin to be used for the SPF check. Is anybody else seeing this ?

Yes, I had to recently add an "a:" record to an SPF (for the sending hostname)
as I was seeing some of these I think.

Im confused by the language being used.

Isn't that the whole point of SPF records? To authorize the IP of the sending
server? So by default shouldn't there already be an A record for the hostname
of the sending server? And shouldn't there already be either that server's
hostname or IP (or MX) in the SPF record? Otherwise what's in your SPF record
if not those things?

I understand why there is potential confusion between hostname and domain. SPF
says for this sending-address domain, these servers (identified by Hostname/IP)
are authorized.

And while im at it, why are some admins insistent on having the HELO be
something other than the hostname?