On 7/18/2024 2:52 AM, Jaroslaw Rafa via Postfix-users wrote:
Can Dovecot do client auth at all? All the docs say that Dovecot can do only
submission auth, for client auth you must use Cyrus. Also the link quoted
above is basically all about configuring client auth with Cyrus, for Dovecot
it just refers to Dovecot documentation:
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/howto/postfix_and_dovecot_sasl/
which covers only configuring submission auth.

I misread the Debian page. It's got two major sections: server auth and client auth. The server section has subsections for Cyrus and Dovecot. The Dovecot subsection under server was a single line with a link to a dead wiki link in Dovecot's domain. I fixed that and pointed it to the correct new page. The main client/submission section has only documentation for Dovecot, not Cyrus.

So for server using Dovecot, use this documentation:

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/howto/postfix_and_dovecot_sasl/