On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 09:01:58PM -0700, Kenneth Porter via Postfix-users
wrote:

> I'm reading through this document and don't see recipient_delimiter
> mentioned. Where is it applied to the incoming addresses? (It's otherwise a
> great, detailed document. I just don't see this one feature discussed, and I
> use it a lot as a user.)
>
> https://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

It isn't exactly "applied" as such, rather it is part of the upper
layers of the table lookup machinery, for most (if not all) tables keyed
by email addresses.

Any table that supports keys of the form:

    - localpart@domain
    - @domain       (catchall)
    - locapart      (flat-address-space local domains)

also supports "user" lookups sans address extension:

    - user@domain
    - user          (flat-address-space local domains)

So support for the recipient delimiter is "pervasive".
This should probably be mentioned somewhere in the README,
and perhaps a few additional manpages, like virtual(8)
(virtual_{mailbox,uid,gid}_maps), or smtp(8) (generic(5)
lookups), ...

Presently mentioned in:

    $ git grep -lE 'address extension|recipient_delimiter' proto man
    man/man1/postdrop.1
    man/man1/smtp-source.1
    man/man5/aliases.5
    man/man5/canonical.5
    man/man5/generic.5
    man/man5/lmdb_table.5
    man/man5/postconf.5
    man/man5/socketmap_table.5
    man/man5/tcp_table.5
    man/man5/virtual.5
    man/man8/cleanup.8
    man/man8/local.8
    man/man8/pipe.8
    man/man8/smtpd.8
    man/man8/trivial-rewrite.8
    man/man8/virtual.8
    proto/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
    proto/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html
    proto/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html
    proto/VERP_README.html
    proto/aliases
    proto/canonical
    proto/generic
    proto/lmdb_table
    proto/postconf.proto
    proto/socketmap_table
    proto/tcp_table
    proto/virtual

The docs for the various "_maps" parameters in postconf(5) should
mention the recipient delimiter (or address extension) when applicable.

The main thing worth specific commentary is that

    $propagate_unmatched_extension

controls when/whether the extension is added back to table lookups
results.

The recipient delimiter is global, there is presently no support for
a different recipient delimiter for different domains.

--
    Viktor.