On 24.07.24 14:40, Bob via Postfix-users wrote:
I get it might be a bit flakey from a security perspective and should
come with warnings but it is my box.

Yes, but when postfix was designed with security in mind, it may intentionally not support things like this one.

As an aside the contents of my /etc/postfix directory are owned by root
so I assume Postfix needs root priveledges to access them.

They can use group/others privileges to access files/directories.

I believe daemons/services should generally not be able to modify their own configuration files. They need to read them, so usually /etc/postfix has files writable by root/admin, readable by postfix and everything writable by postfix should be in /var/lib/postfix.

Logs in /var/log/ should be written by syslog daemon, postfix should not be able to modify them.