Hello

Long time ago I used Postfix to send automated emails to customers
(Slackware, 10+ years ago), then moved to another job and I stopped using
it. Now I'm working on a local network and just configured a local DNS
server for the LAN and as a first approach I want to setup a local mail
system and then configure it for the internet (DNS local+internet and MX
local+internet).

By now I am using a virtual server (VirtualBox) as a "sandbox" to
experiment safely and the first step is to install Postfix. In the past I
had only to rename the "sendmail" and configure Postfix. Today I see that
there is a set of packages "exim4", when I try to install Postfix (from the
Debian repository, "apt install postfix") it tells that exim4 should be
removed (automatically) but there are other exim4* packages remaining. My
doubt is: Should I remove/uninstall all the exim4 packages or just the
suggested ones? And if so, would it affect something else on the system?

The following packages will be REMOVED:
 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light

The easiest would be to learn to use exim4 that comes bundled with Debian
but surely it is not on other distros. I want to use Postfix as it could be
installed on any distro, be package manager or sources (just like in the
old times :)

So... Do I remove all exim4 packages (suggested and all remaining)?

On the next mail I will be asking for help to setup Postfix to work as a
local service and configure it with Bind9 by adding an MX record to the
nameserver for it. Once working I will go for an internet configuration.

Thanks for your help and patience