Miles Fidelman:
> Wietse,
>
> So... other than my mistake in not running postfix upgrade-configuration
> (which, when I run it now, seems to do nothing) - any thoughts on why a
> virtual address resolves just fine when received from outside, but not
> when submitted by a program invoking /usr/bin/sendmail?

You are supposed to use "postfix upgrade-configuration" on the
configuration that WORKED.  Why don't you save everyone a lot
of time and simply restore the old working file from backup?

I really have no time for a lengthy step-by-step interview but
I will give you one hint:

You get "user unknown in virtual alias table" because the recipient's
domain matches $virtual_alias_domains, AND your virtual_alias_maps
FAILS to replace the recipient's domain.

Perhaps your screw-up is that $virtual_alias_domains does not
specify a domain at all, and that your $myorigin setting matches
$virtual_alias_domains.

Or it could be something else. I don't have time for this.