On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:51:10PM -0700, tom lee wrote:

> here is my /etc/procmailrc file:
>
> DATE=`date -u "+%Y-%m-%d"`
> MYINBOX="$HOME/Maildir/$DATE/"
> :0
> $MYINBOX
>
> it will deliver email to $MYINBOX every day with different  directory name.
> I will then tar and remove all emails and directory in $MYINBOX for
> previous day. is it required to stop postfix to get it done?

No, this should be safe. Just-in-case, don't do this too close to
midnight, as a delivery may still be in progress to "yesterday's"
sub-directory at midnight and for some time after (default
command_time_limit = 1000s). For extra safety you could go back
2 days and leave yesterday's and today's mail "on-line".

--
        Viktor.