Brian Mathis:
> What is the effect of the policy_time_limit parameter on an smtpd
> policy process?  In the readme I see the mentions that the default 100

According to the spawn(8) manpage:

RESOURCE AND RATE CONTROL
       transport_time_limit ($command_time_limit)
              The  amount  of  time the command is allowed to run before it is
              terminated.

              Postfix 2.4 and later support a suffix that specifies  the  time
              unit:  s (seconds), m (minutes), h (hours), d (days), w (weeks).
              The default time unit is seconds.

> My guess is that after 100s, the subprocess will be killed if it's in
> use or not,

Indeed. If it is used for a policy daemon, don't set the time limit
shorter than the expected life time of an smtpd process. Use the
suggested default in the README file.