> Is there a down side to using a 3rd party RPM on RHEL / CentOS over the
> packages version of 2.3.

Nope.  They work fine.  I have several CentOS/RHEL/Fedora mail filters and
back-end servers running Postfix built from Simon's source RPMs.  You can pick
and choose at build-time what options you want (MySQL [vanilla or Red Hat's
MySQL even],  LDAP, TLS, etc.).  I recommend it.  For non-mailer systems (i.e.
web servers, etc.) I often just install the Red Hat supplied version, but
again, the RPMs from Simon work fine there, too.

> According to RHEL, they will be on 2.3 until they release 5.4 in Sept.
> 09. I would like to wait for someone
> to package a 2.6 RPM but don't want to run into any problems down the
> road. I have no idea how patches/ upgrades would work then. Anyone have
> any input on this?

If you use Simon's RPMS, and if you keep current, you'll never have to worry
about RHEL/CentOS having a newer version than you have, and thus yum won't
over-write it.  When building a new mail system, I typically get the latest RPM
that Simon has available and use it.  I'll update a couple of times a year,
checking the CHANGELOG and other documentation to make sure I don't get
surprised.

Be advised: there is one small issue with CDB support and case-sensitivity.  He
fixed this in (I believe) 2.4, but it got re-introduced in 2.5.  In short,
older versions of his RPM needed a patch to get CDB support, and that patch
created case-sensitive CDB lookups.  Later, Postfix included native CDB
support, but his RPMs still included the patch to do CDB, and he didn't remove
the patch til we discovered the problem.  Then, I think that faulty patch got
rolled in again in 2.5.  Not a big deal - just be aware of it.  It's documented
in the list archives.

--Brian