Jon wrote:
Noel Jones wrote:
At 03:24 PM 2/7/2007, Dick Middleton wrote:
Is it possible to manually "bounce" a message in the deferred queue so preempting the normal retry/timeout period?

I've got a message sitting in the queue trying to connect to a non-existent server. The sooner it gets bounced back to originator the better,

If these are the result of a user mis-typing a domain, add the bad domain to your transport map and requeue the message with postsuper -r QUEUEID.
# transport
hotmal.com error:invalid domain "hotmal.com" maybe try "hotmail.com" instead.

If these are the result of bouncing undeliverable mail, you need to implement proper recipient validation so invalid recipients are rejected during SMTP.

Sorry to bump such an old topic but this fits what I'm trying to learn to do on a system that focuses on sending outbound traffic using v2.5.5.

I did read "man transport" and searched list archives but I just don't seem to be getting all the pieces right. . . . I have a transport file and I've postmapped it. Does an additional directive go in main.cf or master.cf and what might that look like when implemented?

Yes, your main.cf must list the transport_maps directive.
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_maps

Typically something like:
# main.cf

  -- Noel Jones