On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 05:05:24PM +0200, S?ren Schr?der wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 14:21, Ralf
> Hildebrandt<ralf.hildebra...@charite.de> wrote:
> >> "Client host rejected: cannot verify your hostname, [87.53.72.254]"
> >
> > Yes, that's sort-of better
>
> much better - that would have saved me from looking for
> resolver-related bugs. It might seem as nitpicking, but even the
> perfect MTA can be a little bit better.

The details are in the logs. At the time at which a client is rejected,
all that is known is that a name was not available, and whether the
issue is transient or permanent. At the time lookups are made, warnings
are recorded in mail logs.

It is not clear that the SMTP server session state needs to record which
phase of hostname verification failed.

--
        Viktor.