On Tue, 07 Jul 2009, Vikas Rawal wrote:

> On my laptop, I use mutt with postfix for sending e-mails, and fetchmail for
> receiving them. Postfix is setup to relay mails through gmail. I am the only
> user on the computer and all mails originating from the computer are sent
> from my account.
>
> A limitation of the present setup is that it sends e-mail only from a
> particular gmail account. I have, like most people these days, about four of
> different e-mail accounts that I like to use for different purposes. I would
> like to set up mutt and postfix in such a way that I could use these various
> accounts for sending mail. I have set up mutt profiles for different
> accounts. With that mutt is able to send mails with different "From:"
> headers.
>
> But since all mails are passed on to postfix from my user account, they are
> all treated as coming from u...@localhostname. Postfix ignores the From
> address put by mutt, and treats it only as coming from
> u...@localhostname.it then delivers the mail using only sasl password
> authentication from one
> account which has been set up to handle all general mail. The sasl password
> authentication file also has details for other accounts but since postfix
> does not treat the mail as coming from those account, it does not use the
> sasl password authentication for them. In other words, since all mail is
> treated as coming from u...@localhostname, they go through the same sasl
> password authentication, and therefore are sent as coming from the
> same sender account.
>
> I do not know if I have been able to make myself clear. I shall be more than
> happy to clarify again if I have not been able to.
>
> I am appending my /etc/postfix/main.cf

When asking for help on this mailing list, please never paste your main.cf.
Instead, as directed in DEBUG_README, paste the output of 'postconf -n'.

> I shall be happy to provide (samples of) other configuration files, if
> necessary.
>
> I shall be grateful if anyone could point me to a useful guide on the issue.

Without really looking at your main.cf parameters, I suspect your "problem"
has nothing to do with Postfix, and is due to an incomplete mutt
configuration.  See the mutt manual for use_envelope_from if you are using a
recent version; otherwise see envelope_from.  Also see:
http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Header

All follow-ups should probably go to the mutt mailing list.

--
Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>