On Jul 8, 2009, at 10:00 PM, ram wrote:

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 19:10 +0200, Ignacio Garcia wrote:

Hi guys. I've been googling around looking for info on this without much sucess. Here we are: Some of my customers insist on sending bulk- email
from their web php sites (you know, bulletins and such). My worst
nightmare would be having our servers listed in any RBL list because of this. How do you guys deal with custommers sending bulk-mail? Are there any rules in postfix to prevent it, maybe even delaying them in the queue?

Thanks,

This may be OT here

Outgoing spam scanning is a very good option. Unlike incoming , here you dont have to catch all the spam. Just one spam caught , and you know who
is the culprit.

What I do is to reduce the scanning I only scan messages sent to
russia,china, taiwan etc. (based on domain tlds). Since legitimate
traffic from my servers to these are much smaller they usually catch a
lot of spam, with very little penalty of scanning. This works for me
because most outbreaks are due to weak passwords or some virus. Ofcourse
YMMV

One more thing you must do is monitor abuse complaints, Create Feedback
loops with aol, yahoo etc. (Unfortunately gmail doesnt seem to have
one)

Anyway you really dont have to worry too much. No one blacklists you
because of just one or two spams inadvertently relayed thru your
network.
You just have to bother about customers who deliberately spam, we have
had very bad experiences and since then we have been insisting on
getting a bullet-proof TOS signed.

You nailed it. You will get on a BL, nothing you can do about it. But if you are on the feedback loops, and most all BL's send you an email, so make sure you can get mail to abuse@ and postmater@, and check those. As long as you follow through with the email reports, you will be able to give your customer one warning, and on the second time, you kick them off your server.