Scott Haneda:
> On Jul 12, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > Scott Haneda:
> >> Thanks for the estimation.  Comparing a working transaction with one
> >> that does not work, shows no difference.  The one part I need even
> >> more debug log data, only states "start tls" and then "failure".  I
> >> somehow need to get to the data that happens between those two log
> >> lines.
> >
> > OpenSSL does not like what the proxy sends. To find out where the
> > proxy errs, you will need to go beyond logfiles, and look at the
> > data that is actually sent over the wire.
> >
> > As Tsutomu once said, tcpdump is your friend (*).
>
> Where is the best place to run tcpdump from, the proxy machine, or the
> postfix machine?

OpenSSL on YOUR machine complains, so you need to find out what
OpenSSL on YOUR machine receives.

> Could you suggest a tcpdump command that would help
> me with this?  I imagine, as long as tcpdump is instructed to send out
> something that is human readable, I can compare a packet dump of a
> working case, and a failing case, and look for the differences.

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html has suggestions. And no,
the output is not human-readable, as tcpdump has limited understanding,
if any, of SMTP and TLS.

> > For example one mistake is to send STARTTLS in a network packet
> > that also contains the first portion of the TLS handshake. The
> > proxy should send STARTTLS, wait for a positives server reply, and
> > then it should send the TLS handshake.
>
> Thanks.  Can you make any estimations as to why some sending servers
> have no issue, and others fail?

That is exactly how buggy systems work. There is a region called
"normal" where things appear to work error-free, and then there is
a much larger region called "not normal" where things break in
unexpected ways.