On 14/7/09 12:10, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

OK, here goes:

1) The server replies with "good news". Postfix replies with good news.

2) The server replies with "bad news". Postfix replies with 5xx.

3) No server reply. Postfix replies with 4xx.

Is this finally clear?

Yes, thanks. But it seems that my postfix reacts differently on
a NXDOMAIN and SVRFAIL, although they both should lead to 5xx error codes.
That is why I am so thick to not understand.

I think the distinction here is between a DNS server
(what you're referring to) and an SMTP server (what Wietse is referring to).

DNS server response failure implies no SMTP server reply, thus 4xx.

seem reasonable?

- Mark