Jaime Kikpole a écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Victor
> Duchovni<victor.ducho...@morganstanley.com> wrote:
>>> Don't use a CNAME in a mail address.
>
> Why not?  After all, how would you handle vhosts if you can't send as
> the CNAME record?

since when CNAME was needed for vhosts?

alice           A       192.0.2.1
bob             A       192.0.2.1

CNAME is necessary when the name points to an external zone which is not
under your control. that is:

alice   CNAME joe.example.com.
bob     CNAME joe.example.com.

with example.com being an external domain (that is not under your control).

if example.com zone is under your control, it is easy to use a script to
generate A records instead.

>>[snip]
>
> So its caused by some combination of factors which includes the CNAME
> and Request Tracker.  (Remember, using telnet to manually build and
> send a message sent it as cns.cairodurham.org before the DNS changed.)

maybe submission is using Sendmail and not the sendmail command provided
by postfix. It is generally easier to uninstall Sendmail when you want
to use postfix.

> Any reason I shouldn't leave the DNS like this?

As Noel already said, external MTAs may replace the CNAME, which would
cause problems.

> Also, that question about virtual hosting of several email domains was
> not rhetorical.  How is a sysadmin supposed to configure their DNS for
> such a thing?

see above.