On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Victor Duchovni <
victor.ducho...@morganstanley.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 09:33:24AM -0400, Linux Addict wrote:
>
> > I am reading TLS page on postfix and here
> > http://www.state-of-mind.de/assets/postfix_tls.pdf.
> >
> > I have one last question. What I am trying to setup is, I have set of
> hosts
> > in LAN which use postfix relay servers in DMZ to send (secure) mails to
> one
> > of our external client. The external client insists on using verisign
> cert.
>
> This is not sufficiently precise, what does "using" mean? Printing it
> on a piece of paper and using it as bathroom wallpaper? :-)

:-) Honestly I haven't spoke to them directly, just working based on using
piece of mail I got.

> You need to understand what role the private key and associated (Verisign
> or
> other CA) certificate is to play in your communications with this party.
>
> > On this scenario my postfix server will send mails to the external
> client's
> > server, so should I configure the Client Certificate on my postfix.
>
> If they restrict access to their server, and allow only (certain) TLS
> authenticated clients to connect, then indeed you may need to configure
> a client certificate. This is never true for MX hosts, but if this is
> a dedicated gateway used only by specially configured clients, it may
> be one of the exceptions where SMTP client certs are useful.

Being secure, I think they allow only specific clients to connect.

The postfix TLS doc says the key should be in .pem format, but I see many
howtos usng .key or .crt as well.   I used the openssl command to generate
keys, and they both .pem and .key seems to be just rsa encryption with BEGIN
and END.   I assume the extension can be .pem or .crt or can be anything. Is
that right?