On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:14:10 +0200, Robin Smidsrød <ro...@smidsrod.no>
wrote:
> I read John Peach's response to a mail regarding the Postfix option to
> reject non-FQDN HELO transactions.
>
> http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0302/0183.html
>
> He states that Joris Benschop is correct in that email.
>
> I was scanning through RFC 821 (and also through RFC2821 which has
> superseeded it) and I cannot find the quote referenced in the message
> above in either of those documents.
>
> Where can I find an official reference which validates what he stated in
> the message above?
>
> As far as I can tell, section 5.2.5 does not exist in in RFC821 and
> section 3.5 does not contain the quote specified in the above mentioned
> message.
>
> I used these references to verify the content of the RFCs.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc821.txt
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html

rfc2821 contains the following

 -  the clarifications and applicability statements in RFC 1123 [2],

and rfc1123

http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1123/index.htm

contains

http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1123/90.htm

where it states

 The sender-SMTP MUST ensure that the <domain> parameter in a HELO command
is a valid principal host domain name for the client host. As a result,
the
receiver-SMTP will not have to perform MX resolution on this name in order
to validate the HELO parameter.

 The HELO receiver MAY verify that the HELO parameter really corresponds
the IP address of the sender. However, the receiver MUST NOT refuse to
accept a message, even if the sender's HELO command fails verification.

So it seems it's not allowed to refuse msgs when the HELO is incorrect.

--
Simple things make people happy.
Willy De la Court